Published on Friday, July 1, 2022
Helping farmers succeed. At our core, that’s what Beck’s is all about. But, in the grand scheme of things, we want to help everyone succeed — whether they’re farmers or not. It’s in our values to be a support system, to offer a helping hand to those in need.
Beck’s was founded in a small town, so we understand the value of a community coming together to bear the heavy stuff as an entirety. It’s easy to feel overwhelmed when you’re taking something on by yourself, but with the help of others, that sense of hope is restored — the “everything is going to be okay, I’ve got your back” type of relief.
If you ever happen to be in the Memphis, Missouri, area around mid-August, you’ll probably hear some buzz about an event happening at the Ed Good Family Farm… something about a barbeque, an auction, a plane flying overhead that drops candy for all the kids to run around and collect. But — you’ll probably also hear about the Burkholder family.
Bryan Burkholder and his wife, Janita, have a now 14-year-old daughter that was diagnosed with pretzel syndrome at a young age. In 2014, Bryan worked with Beck’s dealers, Eugene Burkholder and Richard Good, to hold the first Helping Hands Benefit Auction. Each year, this event raises money for the Clinic for Special Children in Strasburg, Pennsylvania, where his daughter receives care. The doctors there specialize in fighting genetic illnesses with cuttingedge research and compassion, and they’ve done so for children and adults across the nation.
This year marks the eighth annual Helping Hands Benefit Auction at the Ed Good Family Farm. The festivities begin on Friday night with food and fellowship. Attendees will share dinner together while enjoying a performance from the local choir. Saturday morning, everyone is invited back before the candy drop fly over. While the kids are enjoying their treats, the benefit auction begins. Local businesses, as well as many families, donate items that will be available for bidding.
Together with their community, Eugene and Richard believe so much in this great cause they support each year. They saw a family in need and a clinic that could use their donations to help others on an even larger scale. In 2021, approximately 2,500 people attended the Helping Hands Benefit Auction where they successfully raised upwards of $100,000. Each year, 75% of the proceeds are donated to the Clinic for Special Children, while the other 25% is donated to local families in need.
If you are interested in donating (monetary or an auction item) to the 2022 Helping Hands Benefit Auction, please contact Harlan Burkholder, Treasurer, at email@example.com.
Whether we like to admit it or not, we can all use some help every now and then. It’s hard to ask for, but easy to show others you care by taking the initiative and being there for them. I hope that when the opportunity presents itself, you lend a helping hand as well.
Author: Kate Roth
Categories: CropTalk, 2022
Tags: Culture, events, benefit auction